Sanibel Island, Florida Three Day Getaway | 5 Travel Tips
1. Stock up on supplies before you arrive on the island! – There is a $6 toll per dual axle vehicle to enter the island, so it is a really good idea to stock up on any supplies you think you might need before your getaway, it’s $6 every time you want to come back to the island from the mainland.
2. Bring your bik to Sanibel Island! – There is one main road on the island that runs from the Sanibel Island lighthouse to the South Seas Resort. The traffic is pretty heavy even on the weekdays, so a bike will provide a great way to avoid the traffic and get some exercise at the same time! The entire island is very bike friendly and has bike paths that stretch from end to end.
3. Bring cash or your debit card! – There is a $2 per hour fee for parking at all parking lots on the island. The payment consoles accept debit cards or cash though, so its not necessary to have change.
4. Before your getaway weekend, research specific hotel websites not just the major travel sites! – When we booked our room at the Anchor Inn & Cottages on Sanibel Island, we checked major travel sites first and actually got the best rate from the hotel website itself! Be sure to call the hotels to make sure you are getting the best rates!
5. Bring your fishing pole! – Sanibel Island is one of the best fishing destinations on the Gulf Coast! There is a lot of different species of fish available around the island throughout the entire year, chances are you don’t even need a boat to access these fish because they usually swim right in the surf ! The only stipulation is, make sure you get you Florida Salt Water Fishing License!